Sunday, June 10, 2012

Dream and give yourself permission to envision a You that you choose to be.

Good Morning ALL!!!

     A quick shout out to the husband today!!  Happy 30th Birthday Shawn Phillip.  You are an amazing man and one of a kind.  You wow me all the time with the wonderful things you do and continue to do for our family!  I love you more than you will ever know!



     We go back to see B's neurologist on Friday.  I'm very ready to see him.  I feel as though our diagnosis was so quick (which I am grateful for) and now that I have had a little more time to digest all of it I have a million more questions.   I'm just dying to know if he will grow out of them....which is not something the Dr. will be able to tell me I know.  He does not know if he will...I just want to know. 


     To many unanswered questions with Epilepsy.  Here are some epilepsy facts some of you may have never known, some things I have learned over the past few months. 


 A seizure is a disturbance in the electrical activity of the brain. Twenty-five million Americans (1 in 10) have had, or will have, at least one seizure at some time in their lives.


  • Epilepsy primarily affects children and young adults, although anyone can get epilepsy at anytime. 20% of cases develop before the age of five, and 50% develop before the age of 25. However, epilepsy is also increasingly associated with the elderly, and there are as many cases in those 60 years of age and older as in children 10 years of age and under.
  • Heredity usually is not a direct factor in epilepsy. But some kinds of brain wave patterns associated with seizures do tend to run in families.

  • Tonic-clonic ("grand mal") seizure - This seizure occurs when there is a massive discharge of neurons on both cerebral hemispheres. The body becomes rigid and there is also jerking of the body. "Tonic-clonic" means "stiffness-violent." "Grand mal" means "great sickness."

    
    Absence ("petit mal") seizure - This seizure is nonconvulsive. However, a person may become unaware of his or her surroundings and may stare off in space or freeze. This seizure lasts only 5-30 seconds.

    Many famous classical writers had epilepsy, including Sir Walter Scott, Edgar Allen Poe, Lord Byron, Percy Bysshe Shelley, Lewis Carroll and Charles Dickens--to name only a few


         Well I am off to celebrate the Birthday....sorry so short but to be honest I'm ready for Friday and don't have much else to say!! 

    Carpe Diem everyone!!



    

    No comments:

    Post a Comment